So to keep its name buzzing around in the media, Spotify “researchers” (read: probably unpaid interns) compiled and released a list of the most streamed songs people listen to when they want to fall asleep.
Recording data of over 2.8 million “sleep”-themed playlists, the company found that Ed Sheeran’s “Thinking Out Loud” is the most streamed song featured on all of the lists, followed by Sam Smith’s “Stay With me,” and eventually at number 6 is “Rain Sounds” — a track literally made for people to fall asleep to.
Turns out, Sheeran claims 7 spots of the top 20 and Smith comes in second place with 4.
What does a reputable placement like this mean for artists in the long run? Nothing, actually. It’s just something someone, somewhere, figured out because why not?
MOST STREAMED SONGS ON SLEEP PLAYLISTS
1. Thinking Out Loud – Ed Sheeran
2. Stay With Me – Sam Smith
3. Love Me Like You Do (from Fifty Shades of Grey) – Ellie Goulding
4. I See Fire – Ed Sheeran
5. I’m Not the Only One – Sam Smith
6. Rain for Sleep – Rain Sounds
7. All of Me – John Legend
8. Earned It (from Fifty Shades of Grey) – The Weeknd
9. Let Her Go – Passenger
10. Skinny Love – Birdy
11. Say Something – A Great Big World, Christina Aguilera
12. FourFiveSeconds – Rihanna, Paul McCartney, Kanye West
13. The A Team – Ed Sheeran
14. Tenerife Sea – Ed Sheeran
15. Give Me Love – Ed Sheeran
16. Lay Me Down – Sam Smith
17. Fix You – Coldplay
18. Photograph – Ed Sheeran
19. Kiss Me – Ed Sheeran
20. Latch (Acoustic) – Sam Smith
Source: The Rooster